Monthly Archives: May 2005

WRT54G-UK Firmware

I recently bought the UK edition (WRT54G-UK) of the Linksys Wireless-G 54mbps Broadband Router. Recently it seems to have either been crashing, or not picking the connection back up again after it’s dropped. Even though it’s only a month or so old, I decided it was probably time for a firmware upgrade. The label on the bottom of mine said is was Version 2. The firmware was version 2.2.07.

As there are differences between the UK and US models, I started by looking on the Linksys UK support site which warns you that “If you use the US versions of your wireless product’s drivers or firmware on European wireless products, you may lose the ability to use high channels (channels 12 and 13).” Unfortunately I couldn’t find any European firmware updates for Version 2 of the hardware. As usual, international support is lacking.

At the time of writing, the US Linksys site has an update for the WRT54G Version 2, which upgrades the firmware to 3.03.6. I was a bit unsure about installing this but it seems to be working fine so far.

If anyone has tried the European 3.03.9 Firmware on a Version 2 WRT54G, I’d be interested to know.

Update (26th February 2006): I’ve just updated to the US 4.20.7 Firmware and everything seems to be working fine. Again, channels 12 and 13 aren’t available but it’s no big loss for me. The new firmware adds WPA2 support as well as the SecureEasySetup button.

Antec SLK3000B and AcoustiPack

I recently bought a new case, the Antec SLK3000B. The reason I’m posting this is that some people might be interested to know that the AcoustiPackā„¢ Pre-cut kit for the Antec SLK3700-BQE is a perfect fit (with a couple of exceptions).

  • The left-hand side panel of the SLK3000B has two new ventilation holes. You just need to cut two holes in the foam before fitting it.
  • The foam block that fits under the hard drive caddy is too large because the design has changed significantly since the SLK3700-BQE. It’s not the end of the world though.
  • The air filter block at the front needs a couple of minor chunks cutting out because the cabling from the front of the case has moved slightly.

So I’ve still got two identical foam blocks left (one of which isn’t on the fitting instructions sheet) which I’ll probably try and find a use for once I can find a way of cutting them accurately. I’ve not got the rest of the computer up and running yet, but the AcoustiPack kits are well designed and I was impressed with the instructions.